I decided to make this post because I feel like a lot of people misunderstand the whole concept of veganism. To make this a shorter and easier to read post, I am writing this in question and answer form. I don’t expect you to agree with everything I say, but remember, these are just my beliefs!
- What does vegan mean?
- Vegan people choose to abstain from ANY animal product. This includes wool, leather, silk, and angora. Honey, meat, dairy, and eggs. We also do not believe in the exploitation, suffering, or torture of animals. We fight for animals every day that we choose to eat vegan food, buy vegan cosmetic products that don’t test on animals, and wear vegan clothing.
- What are the health benefits of veganism?
- This is a hard question to answer because there are so many health benefits. Beauty wise, I noticed that my nails were a LOT stronger. (I have had the most horrible experiences with my nails. They were incredibly dry, brittle, and even bendable.) I also noticed that my hair grew faster, my acne started clearing up, and I felt more energized. Quite recently, the meats that most Americans eat, including bacon, sausages, hot dogs, and other processed foods can cause cancer. Veganism has even been shown to prevent and CURE heart disease. I find that incredible. Also, your cholesterol levels would be very low, because vegans do not get ANY cholesterol in their diet, you only make it naturally in your body.
- Is it hard to be vegan?
- It depends on how you choose to look at it. If you are easily tempted by meats while walking by a BBQ, I guess it could be hard. From my experience and many other vegans, we do not find it hard. We find it exciting to wake up every day and cook a delicious, filling, and healthy meal. You do have to check the ingredients list, but I find it very worth it. I wouldn’t want to ingest an animal by accident. Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and your local farmer’s market can be your best friends. You may even have vegan restaurants in your area, like I do.
- Can I eat honey?
- Some vegans do, some don’t. It’s all about your own preference. Personally, I consider that using an animal for your own benefit, so I don’t think that it’s morally right. The honey is stolen from them, and they are basically slaves working and working, just so you can enjoy their vomit. Pretty gross, not to mention unnecessary.
- Don’t plants feel pain too?
- Despite some excuses that meat eaters make, plants lack a central nervous system, so they are incapable of receiving pain. This is a fact.
- Do we need meat to survive?
- We do not need meat to survive, because if we did, I wouldn’t be typing this right now. Vegans get more than enough protein (I get a ton of protein, usually 60 grams a day), omega 3, 6, and 9, calcium, iron, b12, everything. I get everything that my body needs from plant sources.
Those are the top questions that I could think of. If you have one that I didn’t answer, leave it in the comments. I would love to answer it! 🙂